Re: Developer.php: show last upload

Hi *!

On 2004-03-08 17:47 +0100, Jeroen van Wolffelaar wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 05:37:37PM +0100, Martin Pitt wrote:
> > On 2004-03-08 16:46 +0100, Jeroen van Wolffelaar wrote:

> > IMHO the date of last upload is a very bad indicator of the current
> > state of a package; the bug count besides certainly does much better.
>
> It all adds together.

Of course. But as you say, many packages just don't need much
maintenance; but as long as these numbers are viewed in context and
are interpreted by a human (as opposed to automatically marking
maintainers as MIA or packages as orphaned when last activity >=
treshold), only conerning the last upload should not be much of a
problem. However, IMHO the last bug activity would still be
interesting.

> > Nevertheless, your script works (apart from using outdated numbers)
>
> I just calculated my get-old-versions script needs to run for another 10
> days until it has all info. I then have a 'historical madison', you can
> get madison-like output from any date starting with the snapshot.d.n
> epoch (June 4th 2002). Web interface on it's way.

This was not intended to be criticism, I know that it is just a
prototype by now :-)

> > and generally I like the idea of an "activity meter". But maybe you
> > can alter the concept a little bit? My idea would be to give each
> > package only one "last activity" figure and calculate it (maybe) as
> >
> >   last activity = MIN (last upload, last reply to bug,
> >                        last tag setting to bug)
>
> This is possible, though it is very easy to 'reset' activity then, by
> simply being provoked one bug reaction, you reset it.

That was the idea. I think many de-facto orphaned packages don't even
have bug replies by the maintainer. Of course the criteria could be
narrowed, but there will always be a way to fool (reset) the activity
meter without actually improving the package (at least one could
upload the same package with an increased Debian revision again).

> I think one general 'last activity' says too little about a package.
> Still, some packages simply don't NEED much activity.

Then maybe the obvious compromise would be to have two numbers: last
upload / last BTS activity ?

> > Why have packages whose Sid version is also in testing two numbers?
> > What do they say?
>
> The left one says when that version entered testing, the right one when
> that version hit sid.

Thanks. On my page (login=mpitt) many of these number pairs are equal or
differ only by one day, but this may get right if used with current
data.

> > If you alter your measuring to only one number, then I would favor a
> > new row; currently the version cells contain disturbingly many
> > numbers. If you keep the per-distribution activity, I think it is
> > quite okay since versions and last-upload days have different colors.
>
> :). About activity, that is currently hard to do, no script yet extracts
> last bug activity from the maintainer.

I also don't know none that recors this. As a last resort one could
parse the bug pages, but that will certainly be non-trivial. Maybe one
could get read-only access to the BTS database?

Have a nice day!

Martin

--
Martin Pitt                 Debian GNU/Linux Developer
martin@piware.de                      mpitt@debian.org