Re: Developer.php: show last upload

On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 05:37:37PM +0100, Martin Pitt wrote:
> Hi Jeroen!
>
> I looked at your script's output and have some ideas for it:
>
> On 2004-03-08 16:46 +0100, Jeroen van Wolffelaar wrote:
> > I patched developer.php to show how long ago that very versions was in
> > that very distribution. IMHO, this aids QA, as you can quickly see when
> > the last activity was.
> > [...]
> > What do you think? Both concept-wise
>
> IMHO the date of last upload is a very bad indicator of the current
> state of a package; the bug count besides certainly does much better.

It all adds together.

> Nevertheless, your script works (apart from using outdated numbers)

I just calculated my get-old-versions script needs to run for another 10
days until it has all info. I then have a 'historical madison', you can
get madison-like output from any date starting with the snapshot.d.n
epoch (June 4th 2002). Web interface on it's way.

> and generally I like the idea of an "activity meter". But maybe you
> can alter the concept a little bit? My idea would be to give each
> package only one "last activity" figure and calculate it (maybe) as
>
>   last activity = MIN (last upload, last reply to bug,
>                        last tag setting to bug)

This is possible, though it is very easy to 'reset' activity then, by
simply being provoked one bug reaction, you reset it. I think one
general 'last activity' says too little about a package. Still, some
packages simply don't NEED much activity.

> Just having one number would make more sense IMHO (e.g. the date of
> the last upload to stable does not tell anything), but let's see what
> other people think :-)
>
> > , and layout-wise?
>
> Why have packages whose Sid version is also in testing two numbers?
> What do they say?

The left one says when that version entered testing, the right one when
that version hit sid. Because of the inaccurateness, this isn't yet very
obvious (you'll mostly see a 10 day difference). I don't really know how
I could imporve UI on this, I'm open for suggestion.

> If you alter your measuring to only one number, then I would favor a
> new row; currently the version cells contain disturbingly many
> numbers. If you keep the per-distribution activity, I think it is
> quite okay since versions and last-upload days have different colors.

:). About activity, that is currently hard to do, no script yet extracts
last bug activity from the maintainer. As I'm no DD, I'm not able to
even look how hard that would be.

> Thanks for your great work and have a nice day!

You're welcome, thank you for your feedback.
--Jeroen

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar
http://Jeroen.A-Eskwadraat.nl