Re: Process for doing a "QA upload"

(please CC answers....MCT should do the trick)

Quoting Colin Watson (cjwatson@debian.org):

> > I have the feeling that QA upload is the Correct way to handle
> > this....and I plan to also take this opportunity for fixing all other
> > package bugs I'm able to fix (for diskles....maybe none...?:-))
> >
> > So, what should I do besides the usual stuff regardig NMU's??
>
> Yes, feel free. If you've seen recent activity by other people on the
> package in question, then you might like to post to debian-qa saying
> that you're working on it. If somebody is currently in the process of
> adopting the package (and please do check this), then you should contact
> them to make sure you aren't duplicating work. Otherwise, fixing
> orphaned package bugs is definitely a useful thing to do.

OK, Fine.

So, let me give a more precise example : the cxhestris package. I
still have to check about adoption, but let's assume I've checked and
noone is currently working on it or in the process of adopting it.

I recently "NUM'ed" it for translating debconf templates and, as I've
subscribed to the PTS for it (like any NMU'er should do), I received
Javi's latest mass bug-filing about the package description.

*this* is definitely a bug I'm able to fix, though not related to my
NMU...and thus, as a responsible Deban developer, I have to fix
it.. :-)

Changelog was formerly :

cxhextris (1.0-23.2) unstable; urgency=low

  * Non-maintainer upload
  * Fixed the fuzzy translation in fr.po. Closes: #206345

 -- Christian Perrier <bubulle@debian.org>  Tue, 26 Aug 2003 09:44:22 +0200

cxhextris (1.0-23.1) unstable; urgency=low

  * NMU (orphaned package, so no maintainer consent)
  * Switch to po-debconf for debconf templates. Closes: #202550
  * Removed the "if you say YES" construction in debconf templates

 -- Christian Perrier <bubulle@debian.org>  Tue, 26 Aug 2003 09:44:00 +0200

cxhextris (1.0-23) unstable; urgency=low

  * debian/control:
    - changed maintainer name to `Debian QA Group'.
    - Bumped Standards-Version to 3.5.8.
    - Changed build dependency version on debhelper to 4.0.0.
  * debian/rules: use debhelper 4.

 -- Jerome Marant <jerome@debian.org>  Sat, 18 Jan 2003 09:35:05 +0100

cxhextris (1.0-22) unstable; urgency=low

  * Orphaned.

 -- Jerome Marant <jerome@debian.org>  Mon, 24 Jun 2002 20:09:04 +0200

So, this resumes to :

-J. Marant orphaned the package
-I later filed a bug for debconf translation and then fixed it by a
NMU (should this have been a NMU....probably arguable...anyway, this
*has been* done as this)

I, of course, *know* that the 202550 and 206345 bugs are fixed....and
I have a pending upload for another bug, 209477.

So, should I do another NMU ?

cxhextris (1.0-23.3) unstable; urgency=low

  * Non-maintainer upload
  * More complete description in debian/control. Closes: #209477

 -- Christian Perrier <bubulle@debian.org>  Sun, 14 Sep 2003 08:47:41 +0200

OR should I definitely ACK former bugs and close the new one :

cxhextris (1.0-4) unstable; urgency=low

  * QA upload
  * More complete description in debian/control. Closes: #209477
  * Acknowledge the latest NMU bug fixes. Closes: #206345, #202550

 -- Christian Perrier <bubulle@debian.org>  Sun, 14 Sep 2003 08:47:41 +0200

(I'm not sure whether this will close the related bugs in the BTS, by
the way.....anyway, if this does not work, I would then use a -done
mail).