Re: Enabling salsa-ci on all Debian Python Team repos

> Well but that's the whole point of automated testing. There's no *need*
> to do it locally if it's already done by Salsa for you. What is already
> automated and working pretty well is:
>
> - amd64 build
> - i386 build
> - source build
> - autopkgtest
> - blhc
> - lintian
> - piuparts
> - reprotest
> - arm64 crossbuild
>
> That's a pretty time consuming list of things to go through for a human!
>
> The only work left to be done on your machine is a binary build to see
> if the packages look good, perhaps some specific manual testing [1],
> source build and upload. Isn't that better?

sure its better, now let's assume something in those tests fails: how
do you debug it and fix it? you still need to repeat it locally = you
wasted time.

In conclusion, you're no only proposing a technical change (add CI to
all our packages), but also a workflow change (push to salsa before an
upload). experience dictates that's never a good idea, and in such an
heterogeneous team like ours, it's simply not gonna give the fruits
you think it will.

I still think it's a waste of time, and addition of emails that we're
going to simply ignore (or not receive at all, if you're not
subscribed to tracker.d.o, wihch is suspect is the vast majority of
team members), but if the majority of the core contributors want it,
sure go ahead

--
Sandro "morph" Tosi
My website: http://sandrotosi.me/