Re: a review of your bumblebee-status package

On Tue, Jun 07, 2022 at 09:47:33AM -0400, Antoine Beaupré wrote:
> On 2022-06-07 07:11:15, Julian Gilbey wrote:
> > [...]
> > As far as I understand, versioneer (or the _version.py generated by
> > it) uses a whole bunch of heuristics to determine the version number
> > of the package, for example by looking at git tags and so on.  Several
> > times, I have found that _version.py in the PyPI release of a package
> > is a very small file (just a few lines long) stating the version
> > number of the package, while the _version.py in GitHub is huge and
> > doesn't work on a standalone packaged version.  If I recall correctly,
> > In more than one package I (co-)maintain, I've gone for the PyPI
> > version of this file.
>
> Uh! So you just keep the file around altogether? That seems like a break
> of policy...

Maybe I wasn't clear: we pack the GitHub as the .orig.tar.gz and then
apply a patch (in debian/patches) to replace _version.py with the
version found in the PyPI package.  (There are often good reasons to
prefer the GitHub version over the PyPI version.)  I just looked
through my local packages and the only examples I could find were the
now-removed python-language-server and python-jsonrpc-server.

I'm not sure how this would break policy.

Best wishes,

   Julian