Re: books for learning python (was: Re: How should learning to program in Python be approached [...])

On 8/31/21, Joost van Baal-Ilić <joostvb@debian.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Op Fri, Aug 27, 2021 at 09:29:51AM +0100 schreef {Pokoradi, Balazs}:
>>
>> I’d recommend “Python crash course” by Eric Mathes, if you like learning
>> using books. Gives good explanation of the basics, lists a few sample
>> projects, all code is available on GitHub.
>> I find the best beginner friendly tutorials on particular tasks/packages
>> are the ones by Corey Schafer on YouTube.
>>
> <snip>
>
> FWIW, I like the way "Learn Python the Hard Way" (
> https://learnpythonthehardway.org/ ) by Zed A. Shaw treats the subject.
>
> HTH (for someone), Bye,

My copy of Learn Python the Hard Way is sitting no more than 12 inches
from my mouse right now. I have PTSD-induced cognitive issues, and I
have no problem following along with it. I took a chance on it after
reading some reviews that proved to be fair judges.

There's a CD that goes with, but I never even opened it and am still
able to follow along. In the end, the book's method seemed to work
fine with a totally not fancy, onboard "IDE" (Integrated Development
Environment) via xfce4-terminal.

There are a couple different installable IDEs in the main repository
if one wants to play around to see if any further inspire one's own
creativity. As a quick example, I can remember installing both "eric"
and "idle".

Geany and Bluefish both also mention Python support. I have them
installed, but they're kind of "too busy" (overwhelming) for my brain.
I do like how Geany highlights the contents of lilo(dot)conf so
there's always that perk with that one. :D

Hope this helps somehow, too.

Cindy :)
--
* runs with birdseed *