Re: [RFC] DPT Policy: Canonise recommendation against PyPi-provided upstream source tarballs

On Fri, Jun 25, 2021 at 11:42 PM Jeremy Stanley wrote:

> 1. Cryptographically signed tags in a Git repository, with
>    versioning, revision history, release notes and authorship either
>    embedded within or tied to the Git metadata.
>
> 2. Cryptographically signed tarballs of the file tree corresponding
>    to a tag in the Git repository, with versioning, revision
>    history, release notes and authorship extracted into files
>    included directly within the tarball.

I would like to see #2 split into two separate tarballs, one for the
exact copy of the git tree and one containing the data about the other
tarball. Then use dpkg-source v3 secondary tarballs to add the data
about the git repo to the Debian source package.

> Saying that a raw dump of the file content from a revision control
> system is recommended over using upstream's sdists presumes all
> upstreams are the same. They're not, and which is preferable (or
> doable, or even legal) differs from one to another. Just because
> some sdists, or even many, are not suitable as a basis for packaging
> doesn't mean that sdists are a bad idea to base packages on. Yes,
> basing packages on bad sdists is bad, it's hard to disagree with
> that.

Probably we should start systematically comparing upstream VCS repos
with upstream sdists and reacting to the differences. So far, I've
reacted by ignoring the sdists completely.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise