Re: Policy About Maintainer and Uploaders Fields (was: PAPT: join request)

On November 10, 2019 10:09:57 PM UTC, Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> wrote:
>On 11/10/19 1:20 AM, Sandro Tosi wrote:
>> is there any public trace of these "many voices"?
>
>Just like when we discussed moving away from SVN to Git, we can't know
>the exact number unless we have a kind of poll/vote (but we don't
>actually *have* to start such poll... I'm just saying it's hard to know
>otherwise).
>
>However, I can account for maybe 5 people (it's hard to remember) who
>told me (face to face) they hate this policy, and it felt like there
>was
>a broad consensus that it was really against a team spirit, plus it
>made
>little sense to have a package team maintained with strong ownership. I
>wouldn't name the persons I have in mind publicly, because they haven't
>granted me the permission to do so, and therefore, it wouldn't be nice
>to do so.
>
>All of this is just feelings I had during conversations with others,
>and
>of course, cannot be accounted as just plain facts, so just take it as
>it is: just a report of the feeling I had when talking with others,
>that
>it looks like I'm far from the only one disliking this policy because
>of
>the above mentioned reasons.
>
>As Louis-Philippe wrote, it's very much ok to delay this conversation,
>but sooner or later, it will come back on the table.

Personally, I've been judicious in putting myself as Maintainer in DPMT and PAPT packages.  If we were to ditch the current policy, my immediate response would be to remove DPMT/PAPT from uploaders and maintain them outside the team.  It's about 1/4 of my DPMT/PAPT packages.

I suspect I'm not the only one.

Your proposal is not cost free for the teams.

Scott K