Re: next version of csvkit

On Apr 04, 2017, at 09:49 AM, Brian May wrote:

> I just noticed that Ubuntu plan to drop Python 2.7 completely - from
>default installs at least - for the 18.04 release:

That's not the same as dropping Python 2.7 from the archive, which we're no
where near close to doing.

It's really just an extension of what I mentioned before.  Specifically, any
leaf packages that go on the default installs should be Python 3 only, and
thus by reverse dependency, only python3-* library packages would go on
images.  Note that Ubuntu is almost already there, but Samba (which afaik is
still not ported to Python 3) is keeping it on the desktop image.

Nothing is different for 17.04.  Depending on how the 3.6 transition goes for
17.10, I'd like to explore options for demoting Python 2.7 to universe so we
don't need to make LTS guarantees for it for 18.04, but that will depend on
the technical details and available resources (e.g. my time ;).  I don't
foresee any possibility of dropping it from the archive for 18.04.

Cheers,
-Barry