Re: Fwd: next version of csvkit

 ❦  1 avril 2017 19:42 -0400, Sandro Tosi <morph@debian.org> :

>> It's not at all clear where [1] came from.  The lintian changelog [3] does not
>> give a bug reference and I couldn't find a bug.
>
> it's just a few lines down in the changelog:
> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=829744 (it is kinda
> sad that there was no discussion with the python team from the lintian
> maintainer before accepting and merging it, even if it was done after
> stretch freeze, which was indeed a clever move)

It's a general trend with Lintian: it's easier to push for a Lintian tag
in a random bug report than getting a consensus and translate it to a
Lintian tag.

On the current subject, I also agree we should not drop prematurely
packages targeted to Python 2. It is likely the support will be extended
past 2020, at least by distributions with a 10-year support.

IMO, it's not our job to decide how the ecosystem should work. We will
be alienating our own users. We are not in the strong position we were
10 years ago and those users will just switch to another distribution.
--
Replace repetitive expressions by calls to a common function.