Re: Fwd: next version of csvkit

On Sat, 2017-04-01 at 15:55 +0000, Scott Kitterman wrote:

> On April 1, 2017 3:42:50 AM EDT, Ghislain Vaillant <ghisvail@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > How so? Buster will not be supporting Python 2, so the narrative of
> > having new source packages only provide Python 3 binary packages is
> > totally justified.
>
> What makes you think this is true?

I wonder whether I am the only one who read this [1] or that [2].

Pasting the relevant quotes below:

"The 2.x series of Python is due for deprecation and will not be
maintained past 2020 so it is recommended that Python 2 modules are not
packaged unless necessary."

"The idea is to basically stop uploading new Python 2 only libraries,
port things on the critical path, and swap leaf packages to Python 3."

csvkit definitely qualifies as such leaf package, since it is a
collection of command-line tools, not a Python library.

> As far as I know, Python 2 will be around a long time yet.

Python 2 will be supported until 2020. That's sooner rather than later
considering we are in 2017 and Stretch has not been released yet.

[1] https://lintian.debian.org/tags/new-package-should-not-package-pyth
on2-module.html
[2] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2015/04/msg00005.htm

Ghis