Re: Fwd: next version of csvkit

 ❦  2 avril 2017 09:45 +0100, Ghislain Vaillant <ghisvail@gmail.com> :

>>> it's just a few lines down in the changelog:
>>> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=829744 (it is kinda
>>> sad that there was no discussion with the python team from the lintian
>>> maintainer before accepting and merging it, even if it was done after
>>> stretch freeze, which was indeed a clever move)
>
> I'll just point out that Scott did contribute to the discussion which
> lead to the introduction of this Lintian tag in the bug report
> mentioned above.
>
>> It's a general trend with Lintian: it's easier to push for a Lintian tag
>> in a random bug report than getting a consensus and translate it to a
>> Lintian tag.
>
> The introduction of the Lintian tag was ack'd by a member of the team
> (see message 40). Sure this is no consensus, but the decision was not
> "random" either.
>
> CC'ing lamby who might want to shed some light on this.

I said "random", but maybe "hidden" (in plain sight) is a better
word. This list should be a good place to discuss that. And this has
been discussed last year and I seem to remember that the favorite option
was to continue package Python 2 stuff. Conversation starts here:

 https://lists.debian.org/debian-python/2016/08/msg00094.html

And yet, Lintian says otherwise.

> Please focus on the current package (csvkit). It is an **application**
> package, so whether the console scripts are called with Python 2 or
> Python 3 really does not matter.
>
> Perhaps it used to be the case in the past, but the library component
> has been deported to the agate packages, for which I answered Sandro's
> request to package. The reward I am getting is anger and frustration
> from the team, despite my good will. Not cool :-(

Sorry for that. I didn't answer in the context of your package, so my
answers are not really relevant in your case.
--
The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose.
		-- William Shakespeare, "The Merchant of Venice"