Re: Adopting OpenStack packages

On 2017-03-06 10:54, Thomas Goirand wrote:

I'm hereby volunteering for such a sprint (if I hopefully make it to
Montreal). Hopefully, migrating from git-dpm to git-pq wont be as hard
as from SVN to Git.

Great! The sooner (after the freeze) we can do this, the better IMHO. git-dpm looked good at the time, however the more I think about it, the more I think gbp is the superior solution - especially for a team effort. It is very easy to break gbp pq unless you are careful to follow correct procedures. Once a broken repository is pushed (e.g. manual changes to debian/patches/*), it is not easy to fix without liberal use of pushing a rebased repository. Or starting git-dpm from scratch. If there was a conflict with debian patches (fortunately this hasn't happened to me yet), I think it would be very challenging to resolve the conflict with git-dpm (not that gbp pq is going to be great in this situation either, however I think it would be easier to understand what is going on, and hence find a good solution).

The concept to convert from git-dpm to gbp pq is very very easy:

1. Delete debian/.git-dpm
2. Unapply all patches.
3. Commit and push.

(repeat for all branches on all repositories)

Step 2 is easier said then done. I can do it easy enough on my own packages. I think we need a documented process anyone can follow. Plus dealing with errors as required (e.g. if unapplying patches causes conflicts due to non-compliant git-dpm package) - if anything like this happens - hopefully on not many packages, these packages might require manual processing.

The obvious way "quilt pop -a" doesn't work, because the quilt .pc directory does not exist, and quilt thinks the patches are already unapplied. I sent an email previously with some (untested) suggestions I had.