Re: Adopting OpenStack packages

On 03/04/2017 05:13 AM, Brian May wrote:
> Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> writes:
>
>> And I'm not even addressing yet the horrible git-dpm troubles, how
>> many more years the team is forcibly burying every contributor into.
>
> There is discussion on changing this. The consensus seems to be we
> should wait until after the next release however.

Why waiting? The freeze is typically a time of very low activity and low
disturbance. That's a perfect moment for doing the switch.

It took *years* to switch from SVN to Git. It's taking *years* to get
out of git-dpm. How many centuries until the team realize that others
are using CI/CD, automated testing, and such, and team member accept
things changing fast on the right direction? There's always resistance
for change in this team.

I fought this for a while... Then I decided it was better to just
give-up, and maintain packages elsewhere. I very much welcome anyone
packaging Python modules to push them to the OpenStack team, and enjoy
the infrastructure, rather than moving things on the opposite direction.

>> Plus Alioth is a security nightmare, and it's loaded so much that even
>> a simple git push can take hours (real life experience).
>
> I have not noticed this. Maybe the repositories I have dealt with are
> small and simple.

The issue isn't about having big or complicated repositories.

When you do intensive packaging from early in the morning up to late in
the afternoon (ie: the usual office schedule), and work on a dozen of
package per day, then you start feeling very bad about using Alioth.
It's clunky and slow. At any given time of the day, it has a load of at
least 5 to 10. And the I/O is quite loaded as well.

Because of Alioth's complexity, Alioth's admins now refuse to use a
distributed system, and so Alioth is a single machine. Often, cron jobs
for the Postgress db destroy any I/O responsiveness. Or Apache is just
too loaded. That's how Alioth becomes not responsive, and you begin a
very frustrating experience of restarting 5 times a "git clone" operation.

Not so long ago, there's been a huge issue with the RAID 6 array, and it
was down for 12 days (2 weeks during which I couldn't work). So on top
of this, this makes me worry for the safety of data hosted there.

This doesn't stand half a millisecond compared with OpenStack infra
which is distributed across multiple data centers, on different
providers that are sponsoring computing power. Yes, it has issues too,
but it's light-years ahead of what Alioth does.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)