Re: on keep providing python 2 packages

[Sandro Tosi, 2016-08-20]
> i'd like to hear the opinion of the dpmt admins and python maintainers
> on the OP matter: public module py2 mandatory support, or -in a
> boarder shape- to provide debian packages for all the versions of
> python an upstream public module supports in its code.

IMO:
* all Python applications that support it, should use 3.X only *now*
  (and do not bother with things like alternatives or "-3" suffixes /
  "python3-" prefixes - at least for new packages; I'd even slowly start
  removing alternatives, if it doesn't affect users),
* libraries in Stretch should support 2.X (i.e. add python-foo binary
  packages) if that doesn't require too much additional work (py2dsp
  still creates them). I'm OK with shipping 3.X only packages in NEW
  packages, though. I'd not encourage people to do so but also not
  forbid it,
* we shouldn't accept 2.X only packages in Buster (Stretch+1, released ~2019)
  unless they're a dependency of other packages, and start shipping 3.X only
  packages where it makes sense (and I hope that decision will be mostly made by
  upstreams by simply dropping 2.X support). We can drop some 2.X packages
  (problematic to maintain? better alternatives available? low popcon?),
  but do not do a mass removal yet,
* for Bullseye (Stretch+2, released ~2021) we should start dropping 2.X packages,
  and maybe even remove 2.X interpreter,
* Bullseye + 1 (~2023) is the one without 2.X interpreter and
  python-foo packages for sure (and without /usr/bin/python symlink or
  at least without Debian packages mentioning it, there should be a rule
  to not speak about /usr/bin/python symlink! ;)

Note that Python upstream will stop supporting 2.X in ~2020 so about one
year (and a half?) after releasing Buster.