Re: on keep providing python 2 packages

On Sat, Aug 20, 2016 at 8:05 PM, Mattia Rizzolo <mattia@debian.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 20, 2016 at 05:42:24PM +0100, Sandro Tosi wrote:
> > anyway, why wouldnt you want to provide a python2 package  if the code
> > supports it? if you got a py3k package working, it's usually
> > straightforward to have a py pkg. Doing that i've found several issues
> > with upsteam projects that were fixed, thus increasing the general
> > quality of their code and our distributionsuggestions
>
> my opinion:
>
> it just makes no sense to discuss this now:
>  + it's less than 6 months from the freeze

so, should we stop development/evolution/improvement?

>  + I doubt that there will be that many "affected packages" right now,
>    much less that many "buggy" (by your proposal) indroced in the next
>    few months; I don't recall seeing any example in any email.

dont draw conclusions without having crunched the numbers (i havent
myself), but there were already cases where the python2 support was
missing while it was available upstraem: http://bugs.debian.org/802582

let's fix this before it becomes widespread: better fix 3 (say)
packages than 100 i think

>  + I very much hope we'll manage to get buster out without python2, in
>    that case thinking about shipping py2 modules now when we're going to
>    drop them next year would be a plain waste of time.

it's way to early to say how the evolution will be, but given how
things are now, i very much hope that will NOT be the case, and we'll
be able to ship py2 interpreter and modules in buster. anyway, this is
way offtopic.

> I'm curious: what triggered this email of yours?

http://bugs.debian.org/834777

i'd like to hear the opinion of the dpmt admins and python maintainers
on the OP matter: public module py2 mandatory support, or -in a
boarder shape- to provide debian packages for all the versions of
python an upstream public module supports in its code.

--
Sandro "morph" Tosi
My website: http://sandrotosi.me/