Re: python-social-auth 0.2.19-1 review

Hi Dmitry,

On 21 May 2016 at 05:47, Dmitry Shachnev <mitya57@debian.org> wrote:
> I think it's better to put the missing sources in debian/missing-sources/
> directory rather than patching them in.
>
> (That is also suggested by the Lintian error description[1], and should
> make that error disappear.)

The pedantic warning is actually
"source-contains-prebuilt-javascript-object", not a
"source-is-missing" error. This solution won't apply to this case.

Looking through the files, there are some interesting details:

- "0001-append-uncompressed-bootstrap-as-its-source.patch" won't
apply. The uncompressed JS/CSS files were previously added[1] directly
to the upstream "site/" folder. Does this configures as a Debian
Policy violation?
- The "site/" folder isn't included (or used at all) in the binary
packages. What happened is that upstream decided to include the
project website in the same repository. Should we really worry about
its contents?

Thinking about this, the best solution seems to be drop the patch and
remove the "site/" folder, repacking it as a DSFG-compatible tarball.
But if there isn't a strictly legal requirement (e.g. to include
sources for files that aren't distributed in binary form), I'm not
sure this worth the effort.

> According to the copyright format specification[2]:
>
> | There are many versions[3] of the MIT license. Please use Expat[4] instead,
> | when it matches.

At first I thought this was clarifying and confusing at the same time,
but now I got it. It's not that the "MIT License" is a wrong name for
it, but a non-ambiguous one. Fixed[2] and sorry for insisting on it. I
hadn't figured that "MIT" wasn't a valid short name under the
machine-readable format.

Regards,
Tiago.

[1]: https://anonscm.debian.org/git/python-modules/packages/python-social-auth.git/commit/?id=71c4050