Re: Amend Debian Python Proposal to Include More Python Metadata?

On Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 1:41 PM, Scott Kitterman <debian@kitterman.com> wrote:
> For Debian it's bad because we don't ship the .pyc files in the package they
> are managed locally by the installed python system.  They are also unnecessary
> because setuptools/pip/python is smart enough to relate .pyc files to their .py
> files without them being listed.

The .pyc files aren't shipped in the .deb, or they aren't installed
when the .deb is installed?

If they're installed, I think they should be listed.  If not installed
when the package is installed, then they definitely shouldn't be
listed.

> Part of the goal here is to make sure that regardless of the installation
> method, there's a list of files that were installed.  Since Debian packages
> don't install the .pyc files, listing them is wrong.

I agree that listing them if they aren't installed is wrong.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.    <fred at fdrake.net>
"A storm broke loose in my mind."  --Albert Einstein