Re: Amend Debian Python Proposal to Include More Python Metadata?

On Friday, January 22, 2016 01:32:45 PM Fred Drake wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 12:40 PM, Scott Kitterman <debian@kitterman.com>
wrote:
> > Currently --record includes the .pyc files which is both unneeded and bad.
> > Before this gets added either in setuptools or by us, this needed to be
> > fixed.
> Why is this bad?  Isn't the point that the record file lists the files
> installed by the installation process?  If the pyc files are installed
> as part of the package, they should be listed.

For Debian it's bad because we don't ship the .pyc files in the package they
are managed locally by the installed python system.  They are also unnecessary
because setuptools/pip/python is smart enough to relate .pyc files to their .py
files without them being listed.

Part of the goal here is to make sure that regardless of the installation
method, there's a list of files that were installed.  Since Debian packages
don't install the .pyc files, listing them is wrong.

Scott K

P.S.  I'm subscribed to the list, so there's no need to CC me.