Re: Amend Debian Python Proposal to Include More Python Metadata?

On Friday, January 22, 2016 01:47:28 PM Fred Drake wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 1:41 PM, Scott Kitterman <debian@kitterman.com>
wrote:
> > For Debian it's bad because we don't ship the .pyc files in the package
> > they are managed locally by the installed python system.  They are also
> > unnecessary because setuptools/pip/python is smart enough to relate .pyc
> > files to their .py files without them being listed.
>
> The .pyc files aren't shipped in the .deb, or they aren't installed
> when the .deb is installed?

They aren't shipped in the .deb, so the list of files shipped in the .deb
shouldn't include them.

> If they're installed, I think they should be listed.  If not installed
> when the package is installed, then they definitely shouldn't be
> listed.

No  I don't think they should be.  There's no need for that and it may change.
Then you have a maintenance nightmare.  Currently we have both python3.4 and
python3.5 as supported versions so as part of installation *.cpython-34.pyc
and *.cpython-35.pyc are generated on the local file system.  As the python3
versions change, those will change and Python knows how to deal with that as
long as the .py files are present.

Scott K