Re: Pushing a bunch of packages to jessie-backports

[Thomas Goirand, 2015-11-23]
> > please follow the right procedure at least with packages I maintain.
>
> Would you mind explicitly tell what you call "the right procedure"? As
> much as I know, it's not mandatory to do anything but uploading to
> backports. I've wrote this message is just out of courtesy.

1) build in jessie
2) test in jessie
3) send current maintainer debdiff and a note that you plan to upload it
   to backports

but you're right 3) is not valid...

http://backports.debian.org/Contribute/ contains:

| Inform the Maintainer
|
| It is a good idea to contact the maintainer of the package in Debian
| prior to your upload to let them know or even share ideas and common
| pitfalls (like special dependencies)"

is "only" in "Best Practice" section. I was mislead by the
backports.debian.org domain change (s/net/org/) few years ago.

I will close all bugs reported against packages with bpo in version.
(yay! I'm RC-bug free again!)

I chose 1 (one!) package¹ and it FTBFS so you failed to do 1) and I'm
guessing you didn't do 2) as well (how could you test a package that
doesn't build?)

> > (I want too see debdiff and have enough time to check it
>
> None of the packages listed include any difference from Sid, they are
> just rebuilt with my key without change.

I'm very good at guessing and I guessed that you did exactly that!

I don't blame you that much, it's not possible to check 150 packages
correctly. You're doing a good job with openstack anyway given the
amount of work for one person. I just expect more from MY packages (and
it doesn't matter much if they're in Ubuntu or in backports where I'm
not officially maintaining them)

Anyway, I documented what you need to change in order to do backport
in the changelog and hope your will fix it before uploading.

> Ok. Let's hope he's finished soon then. What's the blocker, ATM? FYI, I
> will not treat this as a blocker for my upload, so if he's not done

That is exactly the reason I react fast and without any sugar to your
help. I know you do what you want and when you want

> course, you can re-upload corrections if you see fit. Let's hope you'll
> take this the correct way (ie: I do not intend any offense by uploading
> first, it's just that I don't think waiting is necessary), and don't
> make such a deal.

oh, so you will do something I told you not to do and hope I will not
take it the wrong way?

> >> As I already bloged about it, and that I am also sending a mail here, I
> >> will *not* send individual emails to maintainers: it would take too long

oh, right, you bloged about it. It's all right then.

> > so my packages are out of limits for you
>
> Could you care to explain what you mean here?

it means I ask you (as that's all I can do) to not upload packages I
maintain.

[¹] OK, OK, I chose the one I knew needs changes in Jessie, I'm evil
--
evil general Piotr