Re: Packaging the Jupyter project suite

Hi,

Le 18/09/2015 17:49, Julien Puydt a écrit :
I would like to package the Jupyter suite of software (ex-IPython).

Of course, that makes quite a few packages to prepare, with a big
dependency graph. I already sent a few ITP (pickleshare, traitlets), a
few RFS (path.py), some are in NEW (ipython-genutils)...

What is annoying is that some of the packages have a dependency chain
going in some way, and an extra dependency chain going the other way.
For a concrete example, ipykernel depends on ipython... but ipython has
an extra-dep on ipykernel.

How does one package something like this? Does someone want to lend a hand?

Ok, my current plan is :

(1) wait until path.py out of NEW ;
(2) wait to see testpath and traitlets in NEW (I sent two RFS) ;
(3) pickleshare is waiting for path.py (I shall then RFS, the package is ready in the team git repository) ;
(4) that will open the way for an updated ipython (the only "old" package) ;
(5) that will open the way for jupyter-core (I sent an ITP, I have a prospective package in a local git repository... it needs ipython) ;
(6) this will open the way to jupyter-client and nbformat (all untouched) ;
(7) this will open the way to ipykernel (untouched) ;
(8) this will open the way to nbconvert, ipyparallel and qtconsole (all untouched)
(9) this will open the way to notebook (untouched)
(10) this will open the way to ipywidgets (untouched)

And then, I think Debian will have everything sagemath needs from the Jupyter project -- but perhaps others will want more of it.

As you see it is a short ten-steps plan, with some parallelization possible in some places.

I'm mostly stuck by IPython for two reasons : (1) it already has a main maintainer [it's in the DPMT team umbrella though] and (2) it is in subversion, which I don't want to use anymore.

Help would be appreciated (mentoring, sponsoring, packaging... anything!),

Snark on #debian-python