Re: Compiled C modules are not found by test suite (Was: Help needed for python-biopython which splits up modules into two packages per Python version)

Hi Éric,

On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 07:15:26PM -0400, Éric Araujo wrote:
>   There are two ways to fix that: either make distutils build the
> extensions alongside the Python modules, or make the test import all
> code from the build directory.  I’m surprised that this isn’t a
> common issue for PMPT.

+1

I admit that I was somehow afraid to ask a FAQ and a quite simple answer
to it since running test suitws should be normal and there are several
packages containing C modules.

>   I tried the first solution and did not see a difference in tests:
> both times, 223 tests were run successfully.  I’d like to reproduce
> the errors you mention to be sure that any change I make is actually
> a fix.

I guess this is the solution since if the C modules are not found the
test is just skipped (and does not fail).  If you could provide this
very patch I'd be really glad.

>   Unfortunately, there is a long-standing bug in distutils where
> extensions modules built alongside the Python modules are not found
> by the install command.  This means that you’d have to compile twice
> (once in-place to run the tests, one to a build directory to install
> to debian/tmp/etc.), or that you’d prefer the other fix.

I think I'll try what you tested to get 223 tests running and see how
far this helps.

Kind regards

     Andreas.

--