Re: Proposed git migration plan

On 2014-08-27 01:41, Antoine Musso wrote:
> Le 27/08/2014 10:13, Sandro Tosi a écrit :
> <snip>
>> Offline commits? how many time (for real..) you badly needed it? i
>> guess so  few that if you (for one time) just do a big commit instead
>> of a storm of micro commit the world wont stop
>
> As a side effect, that also mean you don't have to use a potentially
> lagged network connection when doing simple operations.  There is
> nothing I hate more than waiting for network when using the commands
> log, commit or blame.

This annoys me to no end as well.

>> is there anything else so "attractive" about git?
>
> Cheap local branches which let you pill up work in progress patches /
> rewrite without having to keep several copy of the same svn repo.  The
> branches in git are just a name pointing to a commit in the tree.

I would really like to emphasize this one. The ability to work locally,
then rewrite that work, and only *then* publish it is invaluable to me.

When implementing a feature, I don't need to share the history of all
mistakes I made with the world, because to everyone else but me, those
are just noise polluting the history and unnecessarily complicating it.

Instead, I implement the feature locally, and when it works as intended,
I rewrite the entire history so that it is clean and comprehended, and
only *then* do I push.