Re: Proposed git migration plan

Hi Sandro,

On Aug 27, 2014, at 09:13 AM, Sandro Tosi wrote:

>nothing against your effort or experiments (I really appreciate it),
>but I still don't see what is the advantages of moving to Git.

There's "moving to git" and "moving to a dvcs" - slightly different, but
related issues.  For me, moving to a true dvcs has overwhelming benefits, some
of which aren't clear until you've immersed yourself in the dvcs world.  Cheap
branches, off-line work (e.g., Debconf attendance sometimes involves long
airplane rides :), the ability to push branches for easy review, mentorship,
sponsorship by others (a *huge* win IMHO).  svn just makes so many of those
things too painful that we don't do them.

git would not have been my top choice for a dvcs, but let's face it, it's won.
As sad as it is for me personally, network effects win, and adopting the most
popular of the current crop of dvcses will attract (or at least not repel ;)
new contributors to the team.

Cheers,
-Barry