Re: Two django packages for Debian?

On Aug 09, 2014, at 06:02 PM, Brian May wrote:

>At the moment, in subversion, we only store the debian/* directory. Is
>there any requirement/benefit in putting the full upstream source in git
>too?

If it were well integrated with quilt, I think it would be fine to have
source-full branches.  I like this aspect of UDD, but I've also become
comfortable working with our svn debian-only branches.  It usually means
unpacking the tarball, cd'ing into that directory and symlinking in debian/ to
work with the patch stack.

It's a bit jarring though, since I have to go back to the svn branch directory
to build the packages (source or binary), so I'm always flipping between the
two directories.

The other thing that *has* to work flawlessly for source-full checkouts is
importing new upstream versions.  If you do this naively in a UDD branch,
you're screwed.  `bzr merge-upstream` is the trick to make this work, since it
updates the upstream source to match the tarball.  I think this step should
re-apply the quilt stack automatically, but of course scream loudly if it gets
to a patch that is out of date.

I guess I can summarize this as comfort != joy.  :)

-Barry