Re: Two django packages for Debian?

On Aug 06, 2014, at 02:28 PM, Dimitri John Ledkov wrote:

>I am on the edge. I prefer dgit, as it's the only one the guarantees
>round-trip save with the archive even when someone NMUs things without using
>dgit.

From this description, it sounds like dgit is the closest equivalent to Ubuntu
Distributed Development (UDD) branches, which of course I am a big fan of[*].
Even with today's svn-based workflow, it bothers me that a packaging branch
and the archive might not agree about the state of a package.  I've seen this
a few times IRL, and it's always a mess to unwind because usually one is not a
superset of the other.  It's no fun to merge.

>However, it does not integrate with git-dpm at the moment and there is
>no clear conversion / vcs history import available. Do we care about
>preserving vcs history for our packages? Do we want synthetic history
>(e.g. per upload granularity)?

I usually don't care much about preserving local intra-upload vcs history, and
think that it's fine to have per-upload granularity in the public package
repo.  Yes, I'll use lots of intermediate commits locally until I'm happy that
the next version of the package is ready to upload, but those can be safely
rebased away on upload.

(Ironically, this is opposite of my preferences when doing upstream
development.  In those cases, I want the intermediate commits to be preserved,
but in a bzr-style mainline approach, where they're generally hidden to log
and bisect commands.  In git parlance I think that's --first-parent by
default, which doesn't seem to be what git fans use or expect.)

We've had debates in UDD circles about whether it's okay to push UDD branches
or let the package importer do that step.  I personally prefer the latter
because it's safer - i.e. if the importer updates the branch on package
upload, then there's less chance that the UDD branch breaks.  But that's a
superstition.  From reading the manpage, it sounds like `dgit push` is ideal -
it does the upload and pushes the branch so that collaborators would have
immediate access to the new version without the need for an importer run.

I just tried `dgit clone tox` since that's a package I intend on working on
today.  It's nice that I got a quilt-pushed source checkout; it means I can
start hacking right away.  I was dismayed though that there doesn't seem to be
any upload history.  There's only one commit and it's the last upload.  There
are no tags.  I want the upload history to be reflected in the commit log and
tags.  Is there a way to synthesize the entire upload history with dgit?

Also, reading the dgit manpage it seems like `3.0 (quilt)` integration isn't
entirely smooth.  I like working with quilt, but would also like better vcs
integration.  In my limited experience git-dpm seemed the nicest here.

Cheers,
-Barry

[*] In the parallel universe where import failures never occur, bzr is
blindingly fast, and bzr won the war. ;)