Re: Two django packages for Debian?

On 08/06/2014 10:08 PM, Piotr Ożarowski wrote:
>> I am on the edge. I prefer dgit
>
> and I would love to try them all before we make a decision¹
>
> If one wants us to consider XYZ, please send a link to test repo and a
> list of commands that will let us deal f.e. with such problems:
>
> * how can I fetch foo sources?

IMO, it should be contained in the Git repository.

With the workflow I'm using, it's already on your local repo after you
do "debcheckout", since it's contained in the tag (though it's not
suitable for an upload because "xz" doesn't produce the same output
twice, so your orig.tar.xz may be different from what's already in the
Debian archive).

With pristine-tar, no need to explain, it's there.

> * what about updating all packages in one command?
>   (XYZ pull? mr update?)

mr sounds like the correct tool. Anyway, in about 2 years, the only
archive-wide commit that I saw was about the VCS fields, which I think
isn't so important. Do you have other examples of team-wide commits that
have occurred?

> * how can I build it?
>   (is debuild/sbuild enough or do I need to use XYZ-buildpackage/whatever?)

git-buildpackage is the natural tool, IMO.

> * old patch needs an update, what should I do?
>   (quilt edit? quilt refresh? XYZ rebase on a different branch?)

Do whatever is needed to edit the patch in debian/patches. What's the
issue exactly?

> * there's new upstream release, how can I import it?
>   (uscan in source pkg's root dir?)

What I do:
./debian/rules fetch-upstream-remote
git merge -X theirs <tag-name>

That's in the case of upstream using Git (which, these days, is maybe
95% of the packages I maintain). Otherwise, use git-import-orig and
pristine-tar...

> * new patch is needed, how can I add it?
>   (quilt new? another branch?)

Same as above. Do whatever you feel right to edit stuff in
debian/patches, and git push the result.

> * how can I share my changes?
>   (XYZ push?)

Is there any other way than "git push"?

> etc. (i.e. describe workflow)

My workflow is described here:
http://openstack.alioth.debian.org/

> I don't ask anyone to convert the whole repo, I ask to provide one/few
> packages for tests. If someone knows dgit, git-dpm, git-buildpackage,
> hg-buildpackage then (s)he probably already have at least one package
> that uses it, no? Just copy it to dpmt's git/hg/bar² repo and let others
> play with it.

I would need to learn dgit and git-dpm. Pointers to howto welcome!

> [¹] note that, unless someone will provide a wrapper that unifies it all,
>     there will be no 2 or more VCSs/tools at the same time

Like it or not, this has already happened (with people using
collab-maint for example).

Thomas Goirand (zigo)