Re: RFS: confiture/2.0-1

On Mon, 2014-05-12 at 22:16 -0700, Vincent Cheng wrote:
> Hi Antoine,

Hi Vincent,

> I've cc-ed you in case you aren't subscribed to the list. Let me know
> if you are so I can drop it.

I already subscribed to the list, so you can drop it.

> (it's pretty much the textbook example of pybuild/dh-python usage
> although if you intend on maintaining it within the DPMT
> (Debian Python Modules Team), please add Vcs-{Browser,Svn} links in
> debian/control. You'll have to join the DPMT/PAPT on Alioth first [1]
> first, however.

I requested to join on Alioth, but an admin answered me to post here.

> My one concern at this point is that I'm not sure how your library
> differs from the various other packages that are already in the Debian
> archive (e.g. "aptitude search parse"); I wouldn't be surprised if
> there's some degree of overlap. I mean no offense by this, but I'm
> somewhat reluctant to sponsor small "vanity" packages into Debian
> because more often than not, they end up just bitrotting in the
> archive once the author loses interest in it (or Debian, for that
> matter), especially if nobody else actually uses the package / there's
> no real user demand for it.

I understand your concern, and I know that all I can say will be tainted
by the fact that I'm also the author of this library.

I started this project because I was not able to find anything like that
in the Python ecosystem. The most similar project is ConfigObj, but the
syntax of parsed files is significantly different and the way to validate
too.

I also maintains a Debian package for this library on my own repository
since the beginning of the project (2 years ago) and imho, doing this
work for Debian is probably more productive than doing it in my little
corner.

Finally, the library is not only used by me. I got some emails from users
about bugs and suggestions, I also got issues and PR on Github, and the
library has beeny packaged on some distro by other people (Archlinux[1]
and Frugalware[2]).

> However, we do have plenty of packages and teams in Debian that could
> use an extra set of helping hands, and you are definitely more than
> welcome to join the team and assist with team-maintained packages. I'm
> certain that there are lots of packages in the DPMT/PAPT that could
> use some extra love, especially those with RC bugs and/or inactive
> uploaders; you can see [2][3] for a full list of packages we maintain,
> some of which may interest you.

I would be glad to help. Is updating some package to the latest upstream
version a good way to start?

Best,

Antoine

[1] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/python2-dotconf/