Re: Using git-svn and gbp for DPMT - Was: Re: Joining the DPMT and git.debian.org access

On 15 January 2014 02:29, Chow Loong Jin <hyperair@debian.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 04:51:20PM +0100, Olivier Berger wrote:
>> Now, if you both want to track upstream sources from origin/master on
>> local upstream/ branch and svn's trunk on local master branch, then,
>> yes, a debian/gbp.conf comes handy, and you'll have to do nasty merges
>> now and then.
>
> git import-orig --filter=debian helps to avoid nasty merges, as long as you
> don't make changes to the upstream sources directly inside your packaging branch
> -- there shall be no conflicts if upstream does not touch debian and you do not
> touch the upstream sources.
>
> gbp-pq is also wonderful for maintaining quilt patch series.

My preference lately is strongly with: dgit + git-dpm (for patch management).

git-dpm does not polute repository with branches of any sort, it
simply maintains a round-trip-safe conversion from debian/patches to a
branch and back again.
(Something very similar to Mercurial Queues but done nicer and more
specific to debian packaging)

I haven't yet found a way to use dgit/git-dpm against svn repository.
I'm thinking to simply do dsc-import on the svn side, after I generate
an upload with dgit/git-dpm.
Once the kinks are worked out, and some sort of "forest" (mr or repo)
management is in place we can start opening up an outstanding git
powered workflow.

--
Regards,

Dimitri.