Using git-svn and gbp for DPMT - Was: Re: Joining the DPMT and git.debian.org access

Hi.

Alexandre Rossi <alexandre.rossi@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
>>> My goal is to maintain sockjs-twisted (#735154).
>>
>> the problem is... we don't use git, not yet at least (nobody had time to
>> propose a transition)
>
> The Wiki page[1] suggests there are some git repositories, but I
> cannot find/see them. I also found out that some packages maintained
> by the team are hosted on alioth in collab-maint (src: bugz,
> dajaxice).
>
> Regarding the transition, the Java packaging team has both git and svn
> repositories. Maybe the DPMT can do the same starting with my package
> in the path suggested by the Wiki.
>
> Advice?
>
> Alex
>
> [1] https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/PythonModulesTeam/

Maybe I can share a bit of help by explaining what I've tried to do for
some recent contributions of mine.

I've used git-buildpackage with git-svn on submodules of the DPMT SVN
repo without too many difficulties so far.

The command line is usually of this kind :
 $ gbp buildpackage [--git-verbose] --git-cleaner= --git-overlay --git-export-dir=../build-area/ --git-tarball-dir=../tarballs [--git-pbuilder] [-us -uc --git-ignore-new]

This at least allows to work "offline" until the commit graph looks nice
with git, and push (dcommit) to SVN when the package has been uploaded
(or when you have a consistent state).

This may also allow keeping in the same git repo an upstream clone
together with the git-svn checkout.

I think [0] may offer some more details on that topic.

In a summary, we have SVN for some large scale operations and to please
the dinausors^Waddicted ones, and the power of git for the comfort of
the maintainer testing changes to the package locally.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

[0] http://honk.sigxcpu.org/con/Using_git_svn_and_git_buildpackage_to_build_packages_maintained_in_Subversion.html

--