Re: Using git-svn and gbp for DPMT - Was: Re: Joining the DPMT and git.debian.org access

On 01/14/2014 09:31 AM, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> On Jan 14, 2014, at 02:40 PM, Olivier Berger wrote:
>
>> I've used git-buildpackage with git-svn on submodules of the DPMT SVN
>> repo without too many difficulties so far.
>
> I need to spend more time playing with git-bp, but last time I looked at it
> (cannot remember which package), I had a lot of trouble unless the package
> repo was organized Just Right.  One nice thing about svn-bp is that it pretty
> much just works with a checked out working directory, even when you have local
> uncommitted changes (--svn-ignore-new).
>
> git-bp OTOH required a specific set of branches inside the repo to stitch
> everything together and if those were missing, it failed miserably.  I could
> be totally wrong about that, or I could have just been using the tool
> incorrectly.
>
> I've mostly made my peace with git, so in theory I wouldn't be opposed to the
> team switching, but I still think it's not a good idea to have some team
> packages in git and the bulk in svn.  I value the ability to use the same
> tools and workflows for all team maintained packages.
>
> I'm not motivated enough to do any work on such a transition itself, so I
> think those who really want to switch to git need to work out a plan.  That
> would include test repos, documentation updates, transition plans, educating
> team members, fielding questions, fixing problems, etc.  I would personally be
> supportive, and would be willing to review material and test out recipes.  But
> I think this is going to require a few committed people to do some heavily
> lifting over an extended period of time to make sure such a transition was
> smooth and so that everyone on this team was comfortable with the new way of
> doing things.
>
> That's just my opinion, of course.
> -Barry

I know what you mean about it having a brittle setup, but git-buildpackage has
improved a lot over the past couple of years.  One key thing that helps when
using git-buildpackage in a team setting (pkg-multimedia is a good example) is
having a standard debian/gbp.conf that configures everything in a standard way
for that team.

For example, it would be great to include a debian/gbp.conf that sets up the
git-svn stuff and check that into svn projects.  Then people can easily use
git-buildpackage and still commit to svn repos.

.hc