Re: How to run upstream test suite that uses ‘tox’?

On Nov 17, 2013, at 07:12 AM, Ben Finney wrote:

>Where should I direct upstream to read about ‘setup.py test’? Is that
>the recommended way to enable a test suite for Debian and other
>distributors?

This too has come up several times, both here and in the testing-in-python
list (and python-dev and Pycon BoFs and hallway discussions. ;).  There
doesn't seem to be much consensus, or much enthusiasm for blessing one way of
running a package's test, although I personally think `python setup.py test`
is the best we can do right now.

I've also had discussions with Nick Coghlan and others who are working on the
next generation of packaging tools and PEPs.  I *really* wanted the packaging
metadata to have hooks to specify how a package's tests are run.  Those guys
seem amenable to the idea, but sadly have deferred that until after this round
of PEPs/tools is deployed.  That doesn't help us now though.

-Barry