Re: How to run upstream test suite that uses ‘tox’?

 ❦ 16 novembre 2013 21:12 CET, Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> :

>> You could just run the command specified in tox.ini, eg "python setup.py test".
>
> Okay. I'll need to request upstream de-couple the test commands (there
> are several commands specified in ‘tox.ini’) from ‘tox’.
>
> Where should I direct upstream to read about ‘setup.py test’? Is that
> the recommended way to enable a test suite for Debian and other
> distributors?

I am unsure. Since this is a standard command supported by setuptools, I
suppose we can say this is the recommended way. You can define tests
dependencies inside setup.py as well as the test suite to run.

See `test_suite` and `tests_require` in the following documentation:
 http://pythonhosted.org/setuptools/setuptools.html

This also enables you to run a third party collector like nose which is
convenient because the default collector is only able to run tests as a
module. Of course, this also can be overriden to run tox, so it won't
necessarily help you.
--
Use variable names that mean something.