Best practice: .egg-info with pybuild from git

Hello Pythonistas,

I am just searching for some input/confirmation for the best practice with
respect to .egg-info provided in upstream tarballs.

My initial approach was based on the recommendations in the Python
Library Style Guide [1] and App Style Guide [2] to avoid evtl. double build
failures [3].

Using

override_dh_auto_clean:
        dh_auto_clean
        rm -rf build
        rm -rf *.egg-info

works for the tested build methods debuild, pbuilder and git-buildpackage, but
has (when building from git) the disadvantage of leaving the git repository in
a different state.
As a workaround my sponsor made me think to use rather a renaming procedure
instead of deletion like

override_dh_auto_build:
	mv $(PACKAGE_NAME).egg-info $(PACKAGE_NAME).hen-info
	dh_auto_build

override_dh_auto_install:
	dh_auto_install
	rm -rf *.egg-info
	mv $(PACKAGE_NAME).hen-info $(PACKAGE_NAME).egg-info
	mv PKG-INFO.hen PKG-INFO

which also worked as long as using
	dh ${@} --with python2

Now with the switch to enable dh_python3 and using
	dh ${@} --with python2,python3 --buildsystem=pybuild

this doesn't work anymore with pbuilder failing with

make[1]: Entering directory `/tmp/buildd/python-sql-0.2'
mv python_sql.egg-info python_sql.hen-info
mv: der Aufruf von stat für „python_sql.egg-info“ ist nicht möglich: No such
file or directory
make[1]: *** [override_dh_auto_build] Fehler 1

because pybuild seems to remove .egg-info by itself (leaving the build dir in a
different state than it was before building).

So finally I would appreciate any input on

1) Which is the preferred procedure to handle .egg-info directories together
   with building from git?

2) Is there a way to satisfy all common build tools as debuild,
   git-buildpackage, pbuilder, when running the build more than once?

Thanks,
Mathias

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/Python/LibraryStyleGuide
[2] https://wiki.debian.org/Python/AppStyleGuide