Re: Fw: [Debian Wiki] Update of "Python/LibraryStyleGuide" by FedericoCeratto

On 28 December 2013 06:27, Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> wrote:
> On 12/28/2013 01:00 AM, Dimitri John Ledkov wrote:
>> OK, I'm sorry.
>>
>> What does it mean a "clean backport" vs other type of backports?
>> dh-python is in backports, so no changes are required to backport
>> packages build-depending on dh-python. Is that not clean enough?
>
> I think you somehow misunderstood me. Let me try to expand in a longer
> message then.
>
> python3 depends on dh-python. As much as I can see, that's the only
> package with a direct dependency on dh-python. Therefore, for Jessie, it
> is perfectly valid to omit dh-python in build-depends, as long as your
> package build-depends on python3.
>
>2 However, if we want to backport a package to Wheezy, and that package is
> using pybuild, then it needs an explicit build-depends on dh-python,
> because in Wheezy, there's no dh-python, and python3 doesn't depend on
> it. Therefore, to facilitate backports to Wheezy, I think it is nice to
> just leave the dh-python as explicit dependency in new packages, at
> least for until we have released Jessie.
>
> What I called "clean backports" was just a backport to Wheezy with
> unmodified source package (just a rebuild without modification). I think
> it is a good thing to make it possible for ourselves to do easy
> backports this way. It is also a good thing to make it possible for our
> users to backport packages to Wheezy themselves without too much hassle,
> even if the package isn't officially in backports.
>
> So, yes, we don't explicitly need dh-python for Jessie if we have
> python3 as build-depends, but IMO it is nice to do so.

Well, my understanding is that an explicit build-dependency on
dh-python is required if one uses pybuild. As per policy, one
shouldn't rely on transitive dependencies, especially when it's well
known that pybuild is only provided by the dh-python package and no
other.

If one merely uses dh_python2 one doesn't need any additional
build-dependencies apart from default python interpreters.
Since in wheezy/jessie, dh_python2 are provided by the packages
generated from python-defaults. Would you agree that python/python-all
dependencies are sufficient here?

If there are packages that use pybuild, and do not build-depend on
dh-python in jessie, imho that should be an important bug. I'll try to
do an archive scan to detect how widespread the issue is.

> On 12/27/2013 11:18 PM, Dimitri John Ledkov wrote:
>> I don't understand why are you insisting on blocking migrations to
>> dh-python. Is there some non-Debian requirement that you are omitting
>> / not-telling here?
>
> I absolutely don't want to block any migration to dh-python. Quite the
> opposite, I think it's great that we don't have to manually do stuff to
> support python3, and I am very happy that this part has been automated
> by pybuild. I do not know enough pybuild (which is very new, so I think
> that's normal), but working on a few package maintained by Piotr, I like
> what I saw about it. Packages supporting both Python 2.x and Python 3
> have a very short debian/rules, which is a very good thing.
>
> As for the "omitting / not-telling" part here, I'm not sure what you are
> referring to. Maybe the fact that I do maintain unofficial backports of
> a lot of python modules in order to have OpenStack to work in Wheezy?
> Well, if that's what you are thinking about, my opinion is that it is a
> good thing if someone cares about doing easy backports, and even do some
> work in Sid to make them more easy. I would love to make this happen
> through the official backports of Debian, however because of the amount
> of packages, and the difficulty to have them all migrated to testing, I
> don't think this is technically possible in good conditions. Like many
> others, I am hoping for the Debian PPAMAIN repositories to be available
> to start doing that. That's the only way, or we'd have to change the
> backports policy, which I don't see happening anytime soon. Thoughts on
> this would be very much welcome!

Well that part was mostly based on the request to support
"python-support" in addition to "dh_python2" in a package I maintain.

And thanks Piotr for clarify the transient python3 -> dh-python dependency.

--
Regards,

Dimitri.