tips on packaging Python modules with compiled libraries?

Hi,

I'm working on packaging a module (pypi: pystan) with compiled extensions and
a compiled C++ library for dynamic linking. I'm looking at the rules file of
python3?-sklearn and python3?-pandas as examples.

Both python-sklearn and python-pandas have companion packages with the -lib
suffix (python-pandas-lib and python-sklearn-lib) but they populate the -lib
package in two different ways.

Is there a preferred way of doing this? Is there some way to use pybuild?

Best,

-a

p.s. I have the package building in a lintian-failing manner and on a suboptimal
distribution: https://launchpad.net/~ariddell/+archive/pystan