Re: Fw: [Debian Wiki] Update of "Python/LibraryStyleGuide" by FedericoCeratto

On 27 December 2013 15:00, Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> wrote:
> On 12/17/2013 01:02 AM, Barry Warsaw wrote:
>> [...]
>>   You'll want to have at least the following build dependencies:
>>
>>    * debhelper (>= 8)
>> -  * dh-python
>>    * python-all (>= 2.6.6-3~)
>>    * python-setuptools
>>    * python3-all
>>    * python3-setuptools
>
> Hi,
>
> Just reacting on the above change. It's my understanding that we do need
> to add dh-python explicitly if we want clean backports (eg: unchanged
> from Sid). Am I right? If that's the case, shouldn't we advise to write
> dh-python explicitly for until Jessie is released?

Why should back-ports dictate how Jessie is developed? This is not the
same requirements as e.g. dpkg where last one must be able to process
all packages from the immediately next release.

And dh-python is available from backports - stable-bpo 1.20131021-1~bpo70+1

I don't understand why are you insisting on blocking migrations to
dh-python. Is there some non-Debian requirement that you are omitting
/ not-telling here?

--
Regards,

Dimitri.