Re: PEP 453 affects Debian packaging of Python packages

On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 05:41:52PM +0200, Piotr Ożarowski wrote:
> ok, I forgot to add ";)", but...

Sure, but let's be more careful - I don't want people quoting "Debian
Python" people telling people they're going to purge pip from the
archive...

It's all too often I hear people complain about Debian at PyCon, and I'm
getting sick and tired of it.

> >   1) pip isn't for global package management, for this is stupid. If we
> >      disabled root use of pip, I think we'd all be a bit happier.
>
> tell that to most (sic!) Python app/library authors who recommend to

I don't need to - this is a pretty commonly accepted fact with
pythonistas. Most people know not to run pip with sudo on a sane linux
system.

> "sudo pip/ez_install ..." in their README files in order to install
> their software (and tools like pip do not care that given files exist,
> they just overwrite them (did rpm or dpkg do this 10 years ago?), not to
> mention that they do that in /usr and not in ~/.local or at least
> /usr/local (which they should not touch as well, BTW, only admins can,
> but how can they know that? Why should developer on Windows care about
> FHS?)
>

> Don't get me wrong, I think pip has some valid use cases (f.e. inside
> virtalenv), I even recommend it sometimes, but forcing us to use it
> instead of our (much better) tools / breaking things we carefully
> prepared for our users is just not acceptable.

I don't disagree, but this isn't a reason to hate on pip. This is a
reason to tell the people who wrote this proposal we'd likely not
comply, but leave it as an installable component for development work.

> >   2) pip workes on *every* supported OS. If you think OSX users or windows
> >      users are installing Python modules with dpkg, you're off your rocker.
>
> Windows has its own distribution system (.exe installers). MacOS has
> .dmg files (IIRC), Linux distributions have .rpm, .deb, .tar, ...

yawn, see point 1

> It's not possible for Python developer to get it right on each system
> so instead of reinventing the wheel and trying to make something that
> works everywhere they should make it easier for others to convert
> whatever they provide (tarballs?) into .rpm, .deb or .exe. They should
> not try to replace our rpm or dpkg! (vide: gems)
>
> >   3) We're *NOT* trying to package every module and put it in the
> >      archive, for this, also, is stupid. pip can install from pypi,
> >      which *is* such a place. Or even Git checkout URLs.
>
> that doesn't mean they can mess with software we prepared for our
> users. It takes only one egg or gem to ruin months of Linux packager's

yawn, see point 1

> work. Admins can use pypi-install to install packages that are not in
> the archive, we don't need eggs or whls, not in places where it
> interferes with system software.
>
> >   4) Python modules from dpkg are borderline useless for developers. We
> >      package modules so that apps can use them, not so that people can
> >      develop with them.
>
> nobody forces Python/Ruby/... developers to use libraries prepared by
> us... and yet they want to force us to use their .eggs and overwrite our
> files.

yawn, see point 1

I said pretty clearly I don't advocate for this to be used globally.

Cheers,
  Paul

--
 .''`.  Paul Tagliamonte <paultag@debian.org>