Re: PEP 453 affects Debian packaging of Python packages

On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 03:22:19PM +0200, Piotr Ożarowski wrote:
> [W. Martin Borgert, 2013-09-18]
> > As a passionate pip hater I would go for a Conflicts,
> > which finally would make pip uninstallable :~)
> > Next steps: get rid of gem, npm, EPT, ...
>
> +1 (unless all these "wheel re-inventors" will speed up a bit - they're
> still where Linux packagers were 5-10 years ago)

And *THIS* is why we get bad reputations.

  1) pip isn't for global package management, for this is stupid. If we
     disabled root use of pip, I think we'd all be a bit happier.

  2) pip workes on *every* supported OS. If you think OSX users or windows
     users are installing Python modules with dpkg, you're off your rocker.

  3) We're *NOT* trying to package every module and put it in the
     archive, for this, also, is stupid. pip can install from pypi,
     which *is* such a place. Or even Git checkout URLs.

  4) Python modules from dpkg are borderline useless for developers. We
     package modules so that apps can use them, not so that people can
     develop with them.

I have two codebases, one uses Django 1.2 and another uses 1.4. I can't
co-install the two, since Python isn't smart enough. As a result, I have
to use virtualenv.

I don't understand the pip hate. Why don't you guys try and, you know,
figure out *why* these tools were invented. It (for sure) is overly
simplistic, but it's there for a reason.

--
 .''`.  Paul Tagliamonte <paultag@debian.org>
: :'  : Proud Debian Developer