Re: PEP 453 affects Debian packaging of Python packages

W dniu śro, wrz 18, 2013 o 10:57 ,nadawca Tshepang Lekhonkhobe <tshepang@gmail.com> napisał:
On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 3:36 PM, Paul Tagliamonte <paultag@debian.org> wrote:
4) Python modules from dpkg are borderline useless for developers. We package modules so that apps can use them, not so that people can
      develop with them.

Are they 'borderline useless' because they are normally much older
than upstream? I think most development work has no need for
latest-and-greatest

I think this assumption is wrong. You may want to get security fixes, features or any combination of the above.

In my experience debian _packages_ tend to strongly cluster as either well maintained and up-to-date or just dead and forgotten. In the second case I would bet that all real users (developers) are just taking the version from pypi and totally ignore the one in Debian.

Also note that for testing many projects rely on tox or other virtualenv-wrapping system (just look at travis-ci for the number of projects that use pypi-originated source ignoring any debian packages) so any developer that works on a project like that is realistically always using a virtualenv for development (for isolation of dependencies and precise version control, note that none of this is about security, it's just about getting the combination that works in a process where change is under the control of the developer)

Best regards
ZK