Re: Python plans for Jessie?

[Barry Warsaw, 2013-05-06]
> * For those packages which have upstream support for Python 3, let's work on
>   getting that into Debian where missing.

with pybuild in unstable it should be a lot easier to add python3-foo
packages (just add binary package in debian/control, build depend on
python3-all-dev, use --buildsystem=pybuild in debian/rules and add some
.install files / export PYBUILD_DESTDIR_python{2,3})

I will write another tutorial once pybuild hits unstable

> * Let's encourage enabling the running of unittests during package build, and
>   the adding of DEP 8 autopkgtests.

pybuild does invoke tests by default. I plan to extend pybuild's --test
to use plugin architecture as well (right now each build plugin can
define test method, if it's not implemented, 'python -m unittest discover'
is invoked). If one wants to f.e. use nosetests instead of autodetected
`setup.py test` or python -m unittest discover), (s)he has to:

| override_dh_auto_test:
|	pybuild --test --system=custom --test-args 'cd {build_dir}; nosetests'

and:

| override_dh_auto_test:
|	pybuild --test-plugin nose

or even:

| export PYBUILD_TEST_PLUGIN=nose

looks less hackish

> * What's the current status of pybuild and what should we do to adopt it over
>   and above general dh_python2/3 adoption?

--buildsystem=pybuild doesn't imply --with python2,python3 (hi Jakub! :)
but maybe we should consider it for debian/compat=10 since other helper
tools are deprecated?

> * Python 3.4 beta 1 is currently scheduled for November 23, 2013.  What should
>   our plans be related to 3.4?  My current thinking is that we could support
>   3.4 but not make it the default.

I think we should switch to 3.4 as the only supported Python 3.X as soon
as possible (3.4~beta?)

> * Is there anything we can or should do w.r.t. helpers for non-distutils based
>   packages?

yes, we can contribute build plugins (see plugin_cmake.py) for pybuild
(dh_python* will do the rest) :)

If you meant adding multiarch support upstream in these build systems,
then that would help indeed.