Re: PyCon 2013 -- anyone going? ideas for the talks?

On Friday 21 September 2012 20:13:22 Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:

> eh -- I cannot recommend any specific tutorial, especially tailored toward
> Python (yet). Lucas' packaging-tutorial is quite nice but IMHO for 1/2 hour
> introduction into packaging tutorial  should be more concise and more
> specific toward common situations with Python modules/extensions/apps
> packaging.  But I would advise to repeat a few times that the first
> pre-requisite toward easy packaging is for the project to follow the
> standard procedures, i.e. using distutils (setuptools) and having a working
> setup.py, having clear specification of copyright/license terms and
> dependencies.  Additional benefit -- having a good collection of unittests
> to be enabled at build time.  With those ideas in the pocket, in 90% of the
> cases the basic packaging would be quite easy thanks to dh+dh_python[23]
> bundle.

From following discussions on python-dev, I imagine that it might be
interesting for people to be shown how following the basic best practices
around metadata and configuration information can get you most of the way to
making a half-decent package. It might also be informative if Natalia
Frydrych's PyPI to Debian work were covered somehow, because that would
potentially make people aware of "packaging portability" and that with only a
little extra consideration, they could have their work conveniently available
to an entire community.

Paul