PyCon 2013 -- anyone going? ideas for the talks?

Hi everyone,

Since the deadline for the submission of talks/tutorials for the PyCon
2013 is approaching (28th of Sep) I thought to check if anyone from the
'team' will be attending (Barry?) and may be someone already is
planing to give a talk or might be even a tutorial?

Debian-based systems become de-facto "the community Linux"  in the
Python world due to the simplicity of maintenance and deployment of
Python software.  But I think we still are far behind at promoting
ourselves, so I thought it would be nice if "Debian" appears at PyCon
(some corporate Linux-related entities are already among sponsors where
Debian is unlikely to be listed).  I am not sure yet if I would get any
funds to attend but I am thinking about submitting two proposals for

1. talk on "The universal Python distribution or build your own stack"

   in many fields of endeavor people talk about stacks and python
   distributions which make easy to build/deploy suck stacks.  So I
   thought that we should not be shy and present Debian as the best
   platform for anyone -- either ran on bare metal (preferable) or in a
   VM (for new adopters).  But then we might have released wheezy which
   would be a good base for the talk -- present what fresh release has
   brought to the community in this stable environment.

   Previously I have done a similar talk with an accent on a scientific
   Python stack in Debian [1] which I thought was quite well accepted.

2. tutorial on "Debian packaging of Python modules/software"

   since tutorials are separate from the main registration (i.e. require
   separate payment if I got it right) I am not quite sure how many
   people would be interested to attend it.  But I guess it should not
   hurt to submit one and for the committee to decide.

Also it might be worth asking for  a table/booth space (I think I saw
that somewhere on pycon website) for the Debian project.

I would be glad to get any feedback (i.e. "not worth the money/time
spent", "you might like better to ...", ...) and recommendations on how
to get funds for the trip (I will apply for the "financial aid" but more
ideas e.g. "kickstarter project?", "I think my company might be
interested to cover...", etc) ;)

Yaroslav O. Halchenko
Postdoctoral Fellow,   Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences
WWW:   http://www.linkedin.com/in/yarik