Re: PyCon 2013 -- anyone going? ideas for the talks?

On Fri, 21 Sep 2012, Thomas Kluyver wrote:
> >    Previously I have done a similar talk with an accent on a scientific
> >    Python stack in Debian [1] which I thought was quite well accepted.
> We're having a big discussion on scipy-user at the moment about
> formalising a scientific Python stack under the name Pylab.

thanks -- I will check it out. I am subscribed only to scipy-dev so
haven't spotted it (but there was an echo of it on numfocus ML)

But now I have mentioned that I have forgotten to actually post [1]:

[1] Halchenko, Y. O. (2011). π’s in Debian or Scientific Debian: NumPy, SciPy and beyond. Talk given at EuroScipy 2011, Paris, France.
http://neuro.debian.net/_files/Halchenko_EuroScipy11_3_14s_in_Debian.pdf

> > 2. tutorial on "Debian packaging of Python modules/software"

> That reminds me: I'm doing a talk (~ 1/2 hour) at my local Python user
> group on this topic, so I'd be interested to see any tutorials anyone
> has already prepared. I'm not sure I'm really qualified to expound on
> it, but I hope that I can give people some kind of mental map of
> what's involved.

eh -- I cannot recommend any specific tutorial, especially tailored toward
Python (yet). Lucas' packaging-tutorial is quite nice but IMHO for 1/2 hour
introduction into packaging tutorial  should be more concise and more specific
toward common situations with Python modules/extensions/apps packaging.  But I
would advise to repeat a few times that the first pre-requisite toward easy
packaging is for the project to follow the standard procedures, i.e. using
distutils (setuptools) and having a working setup.py, having clear
specification of copyright/license terms and dependencies.  Additional benefit
-- having a good collection of unittests to be enabled at build time.  With
those ideas in the pocket, in 90% of the cases the basic packaging would
be quite easy thanks to dh+dh_python[23] bundle.

--
Yaroslav O. Halchenko
Postdoctoral Fellow,   Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences