Re: Switching to git

On Mar 06, 2011, at 05:53 PM, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:

>On Sun, 06 Mar 2011, Piotr Ożarowski wrote:
>> > git diff ... | patch; git commit -m 'Merged blah bleh into blue'
>> hint: git merge --squash
>
>ah, evil evil evil git developers for allowing such a thing! I never
>used it ;-)

I've heard both git and hg users encourage the deletion of intermediate
history when merging branches.  E.g. say you've got feature branch and you've
done 100 commits on your own local repository.  When merging that branch to
the trunk, I've heard that both the kernel folks (git) and Python folks (hg)
want you to *not* include those 100 local commits in the branch merged with
trunk.

I don't completely understand why git and hg users want you to do this, but I
think it has to do with how the 'log' and other history spelunking tools
display all that intermediate history.  I'm sure bzr *can* do something
similar, but I've never had users of bzr tell me the tool (or the community
that uses it) *encourages* that kind of workflow, so it seems weird and
unnecessary to me.  But I guess this is one difference for git and hg.

-Barry