Re: Switching to git

On Sunday, March 06, 2011 12:43:23 pm Sandro Tosi wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 17:33, Barry Warsaw <barry@python.org> wrote:
> > Is this a Debian-wide decision, or can each subteam go its own way?
>
> each team can decide on its own, but git is very wide accepted within
> Debian, which is to be considered when choosing a new VCS to use
> (because it presents a lower barrier to attract contributors from
> inside Debian, outside contributors is another story).
>
> > Because
> >
> > if the latter, then I would much prefer to see debian-python choose a
> > Python-based dVCS.  I'm partial to Bazaar, but the upstream Python
> > project just converted to Mercurial over the weekend.  Either one would
> > be an excellent upgrade from Subversion.
>
> Do the 2 VCDs you mentioned have clear advantage that make then
> preferible to git except being Python-based? If so, I think it's a
> quite weak reason.

One thing that is a clear advantage for bzr is that it supports both a
traditional centralized workflow and modern DVCS workflow so that not everyone
needs to switch to a foreign method of work immediately after the transition.
I'm using it on one commercial project that had a mix of developers with svn
and git experience and bzr seems to have provided an environment that's
reasonably comfortable for both.  It's not as fast a git and it suffers from
not being able to do partial checkouts (like git), so it's very much a middle
ground in both advanatages and disadvantages between svn and git.

I've never used hg.

Scott K