Re: Switching to git

On Sun, 06 Mar 2011, Steve Langasek wrote:
> frankly.  Perhaps you're comparing bzr merging with the seemingly common git
> practice of discarding revision history as a substitute for doing an actual
> DVCS merge?

could you enlighten me how GIT merges manage to discard revision
history? that is something new to me... or is that just some practice
some projects adopted (probably having switched from CVS or SVN) to
mimique merges by simply doing something like

git diff ... | patch; git commit -m 'Merged blah bleh into blue'

thanks in advance!