Re: Build-time testing

On Feb 23, 2011, at 06:54 PM, Bernd Zeimetz wrote:

>>> Won't it only do that if the package isn't already installed?
>> Yes, it won't use the network if the required packages are found.
>
>Exactly thats the problem - people will miss that. If an automatic test execution is being implemented it should ensure that no network is being used for tests. Otherwise I'm all for automatic testing :)

One sure-fire way (well, what my limited testing reveals) to prevent
downloading of packages named in setup.py's install_requires but not in
d/control's Depends is to add this to setup.cfg:

[easy_install]
allow_hosts: www.example.com

I'm not saying it's a *good* way, but it does block downloads.  I would have
expected this to work too:

[easy_install]
no_deps: true

but it doesn't. (nor does any value for no_deps afaict).

I'll try to remember to bring this up at Pycon and talk with Tarek and others
about how best downstream packagers can specify "do not ever download
*_requires packages".

-Barry