Re: Two binary from one source - how?

On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 2:07 PM, W. Martin Borgert <debacle@debian.org> wrote:
> Quoting "anatoly techtonik" <techtonik@gmail.com>:
>>
>> Nice. But how do you create these install files? Can stdeb tool help with
>> that?
>
> I don't know stdeb, but install files are easyly understood.
> See the documenation:
>
> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/dother.en.html#install
>
> (We're leaving Python related things here, so if you have
> more questions, we should move this to debian-mentors or
> whatever.)

The Python thing is to how to generate (and regenerate) these install
files? I certainly don't want to create them by hand.

>> The master package description can be improved ,)
>> - This package contains the master, which integrates into Trac.
>> + This package contains the master implemented as Trac plugin.
>
> You have commit rights, yes? Please feel free to correct this!

Not anymore. They were revoked, because I appeared too dumb to
understand Build-Depends-Indep meaning for Python packages.

>> I'd keep full package in master package and strip slave to required
>> files only. I wonder that will happen with shared files if you install
>> trac-bitten + trac-bitten-slave and then remove slave? Is Debian smart
>> enough to detect that these files are still belong to another package?
>
> Files always belong to one package only. That's why I suggested
> to put commonly used files into the slave package and let the
> trac-bitten package depend on trac-bitten-slave. Alternatively,
> common files could be in a "trac-bitten-common" package and both
> master and slave depend on it. But in this specific case there
> is no advantage in a third package.

The variant with trac-bitten being dependent on trac-bitten-slave
seems better to me too.
--
anatoly t.